Friday, May 18, 2012

Sealed by the Spirit PT. 1

(Sorry for the time it's taken to write this post. Life has been full of twists and turns lately, and God has led me all over the place. He is thoroughly wonderful)

It is done! This Easter, I was welcomed into the Catholic Church. Full Communion with Christ, and with Rome. Praise the Lord. It has not been an easy journey, nor a short one, but I wouldn't trade my experiences for the world. Let me tell you about the last nine months.

When I began the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) in September, I was nervous, apprehensive, excited, and wary all at once. I had heard some negative things regarding the program(some of which panned out to be true), but also had heard of it's history. A tradition dating back to the earliest Christians. The ex-protestant in me resonated greatly with the latter. Impatient as I was(and still am), I wished that I could receive Christ in the Eucharist, receive the Sacraments, and begin my new life as a full-fledged Catholic immediately!

But such was not the will of the Lord.

Begrudgingly at first, I began attending my Wednesday night RCIA sessions, with Gregory Watson as my sponsor. His life was filled with an unending stream of questions from me. Everything from Genesis to Revelation. From particular local custom, to the oldest facets of Canon Law. I confess that I learned a good deal more from him than I did from the RCIA program(at least in terms of pure knowledge).

I spent hours reading more and more about every dogma, every law, every piece of Truth within the Church. During this time of prayer, my own inadequacies became more and more apparent to my eyes and to my heart. I was deeply convicted by my sin, and by my former life(the effects of with I struggle in many ways with even to this day). But through God's grace and providence, my life was irrevocably changed for the better.

This is just the beginning of my journey. What happened next, I will save for next time.

Yours in Christ,
-Gabriel

No comments: